If you are thinking of engaging activities for children, then a Book club is one of the ways you can keep your Kids entertained, while stimulating their minds.
A Book Club will benefit young minds by:
- Positive reading attitudes.
- Self-confidence as a reader.
- Greater understanding of cultures.
- Empathy and insight into human nature.
- Increased decision-making skills.
- Increased vocabulary.
- Improved writing ability.
- Improved text comprehension and grammar.
Now, it is no news that the attention span of children is quite short, however, 60 Minutes or an hour spent reading will improve a child’s ability and interest in reading. The enjoyment of reading and being able to read confidently also has a big impact on a child’s academic success and is an indicator of success in other areas of life. A 2006 study found that children who loved to read at age 14:
- Had higher social/attitudinal competencies
- Scored higher in maths, reading and problem solving
- Had higher engagement at school
- Displayed more positive friendships and relationships
- Showed less risky behaviour
- Showed higher motivation towards school
So, let’s get right to it, (Due to the novelty of Book clubs for children, most of these organizations are on Instagram)
- Kidsliterarycircle: I highly recommend this book club as there are different sessions for all ages. They offer distinct activities like excursions, paintings etc with dedicated staffs which is what Radenkids stands for.
- Nigeria’s Children’s Book Cafe: This is for the Mainland people (before you kill me) and it is a two for one. They have a bookstore both Online and Offline and hold different sessions or book club meetings.
Till I come your way next time… let’s get our kids reading again!